New word: a trivet

WCS is often a source of new words for me. When I saw the photo illustrating the word trivet, I just wondered, thinking that I was just seeing a bunch of corks.

Googling it provided the following definition

1. a three-legged metal stand for supporting a cooking vessel in a hearth
2. a stand with short feet used under a hot dish on a table

One of my Bénerville trivets at Christmas time

And the funny part is the other day, in an email, I tried to explain to someone about a dessous de plat, the French word, and described it as a sort of tray you put under things.
How nice to know the real word for a thing !

There will be more about my Norfolk and Norwich trip but you see, I am processing hundreds of photos, and also trying to catch up with my blog reading. Lots of work. 😆


8 thoughts on “New word: a trivet

  1. Pingback: clothes » New words: a trivet

  2. I could be wrong, but I think the word trivet may be a British word originally. Growing up in New England, it was always a very common word to me and trivets were always used on the table beneath hot dishes.
    Really enjoyed your trip and photos.

  3. I’d agree with Terri about the origin of the word and I’m not sure that it’s quite the same as a dessous de plat. I would have thought to be a trivet it has to have feet, or some means of elevating the hot dish above the level of the table or hearth, and I’m not sure that a dessous de plat does (but I’m quite prepared to be corrected!)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s